Open design was inspired by the successes of the Open Source movement. Some basic principles are:
- Ideas, developments, and designs are freely shared.
- Anyone is welcome to use the designs as is.
- Anyone is welcome to use the designs as a basis for further design, development, and innovation.
- A designer producing a such a derivative work is expected to make the design freely available.
- Elements from different designs may be mixed.
- We will try to remove barriers to the use of these designs.
- The designs are free as in free speech and free as in free beer.
- Designers are expected not to charge for others using their published work.
- Designers may charge for consulting and for adapting their work to others needs. - Bobby